Position: Direct Support Professional 1
Summary: This position is in direct care and assistance with special needs clients in areas of gross motor, fine motor, computer/academic skills, as well as personal hygiene and other activities of daily living. The position will involve close interpersonal communication with clients, participation in community activities, and working as part of a team with other staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in and/or facilitate group activities with clients under the direction of lead staff
- Participate in and facilitate social interactions with clients
- Document daily on client goals and other data collection as needed
- Assist clients with personal hygiene
- Assist clients with feeding
- Assist clients with physical activities such as transfers, walking, dressings, participation in activities
- Assist with community outings
- Participate in staff meetings and in-service training
- Assist with volunteer training regarding clients as directed
- Assist with facility cleaning
- Maintain confidentiality of clients
- Perform all other job related duties as needed and directed within the course of a business day
Qualifications: This position requires a high school diploma and a current CPR and First Aid Training certificate (the certificate may be renewed/acquired within 3 months of employment). Previous experience with special needs is preferred. This job also requires the ability to transport clients to/from community outings in company vehicles. No one with a documented previous conviction of a sexual abuse or molestation charge will be hired in this position.
- Patience and willingness to work with people with varied disabilities (physical, mental, behavioral, and developmental) in all areas of care
- Good verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills for working on a team
- Basic computer skills for emails and some document generation, topic research
- Ability to independently initiate and complete the specific duties of the position
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position may supervise volunteers working with clients
Physical Requirements: This position requires the physical ability to lift and/or transfer clients (with or without equipment as appropriate), and manual dexterity to safely manage client physical/medical needs. Standing, sitting, walking or bending for prolonged periods may be required, as is adequate physical endurance to assist clients throughout the day. This position also requires the ability to drive company vehicles to transport clients to/from community outings.
Working Conditions: This position works primarily inside the facility. Community outings or activities outside the facility may require time outside (warm, hot, cool, or cold temperatures), loud or quiet environments, walking or standing for prolonged periods of time, or walking on unlevel surfaces. This position is required to work with special needs adults and teens with personal hygiene care, and should be prepared to manage various client bodily fluids from a universal precautions perspective. This position is also required to participate in, facilitate, and otherwise be exposed to Christian activities including but not limited to prayer, devotional activities, and media (music, literature, crafts, and movies).
Supervises: This position supervises volunteers as directed.
Reports to: This position reports to the Lead Trainer for job responsibilities, and will be under the direction of the teacher for teacher-directed program activities.
Next Step Ministries, Inc. reserves the right to modify job duties at any time.
The job description is not designed to cover every responsibility required.